Monday, October 17, 2011

OBSESSION WITH THE WIND

The past week or so, I have become increasingly obsessed with Gone With The Wind the movie, and all things related to it. Possibly to an unhealthy degree. Last week, I'm pretty sure I watched all 4 hours of it at least once a day. Then I decided to read the 823 page sequel called Scarlett by Alexandra Ripley. That was a somewhat reckless undertaking, and though I finished it in 2ish days, my eyes hurt abominably afterwards. Now I am going to attempt to read the book, Gone With The Wind by Margaret Mitchell which has 1037 pages. Hopefully I find time to sleep this week.

Just today I found out that they made a mini-series out of Scarlett, however, after reading the wiki entry, I am not at all interested in seeing it. It doesn't have Vivien Leigh or Clark Gable, so I'm pretty sure it would be disappointing even if it did faithfully follow the book. Which apparently it does not.

So anyway, I'm mostly excited to read the book, though a little apprehensive it will make me like the movie less. Sometimes that happens, you know. Hopefully the book clears up some questions I have concerning the different motives of the characters. I mean, in a general sense the movie is clear, but everyone knows books are much better for getting to know a character. And I do need to clear up a thing between Scarlett and Melanie.

Personally, I think Melanie was a sweet, proper, generous Southern Belle. However, she was also weak and incredibly reliant upon Scarlett. As far as the movie goes, Scarlett is largely painted as this strong willed, but selfish and terrible sort of girl and Melanie is the saint. I think Melanie was a little less saintly, honestly. I'm pretty sure she knew Scarlett was her ticket to survival and that's why she was so quick to overlook Scarlett's love of Ashley and etc...

Which of course matters not at all. I'm just obsessing. Hopefully I will get over it after I've finished reading 1037 pages. Oh, sweet baby jeeebus.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home